Suzuki Strings of Orange County sponsors both the Prelude String Orchestra and the Prelude Chamber Strings which are dedicated to providing young string students, grades 3-8, the opportunity to develop orchestral and musical skills under the guidance of professional educators.
The Prelude String Orchestra (PSO) is a beginning string orchestra for students who study violin, viola, cello, or bass privately (Suzuki or non-Suzuki) and know how to read music.
The Prelude Chamber Strings (PCS) is for more advanced string players.
Prelude’s attention to the fundamentals of musicianship and its practice of playing music from a wide variety of periods prepares our young musicians for membership in higher-level orchestras after they leave Prelude Strings.
- Executive Director: Annette Brower
- Conductor: Helen Weed
- String Coach: Macie Slick
- Sectional Teacher: Karen Ahmadi
- Learn ensemble skills via orchestra rehearsals and performance.
- Students may or may not have been in an orchestra in the past.
- String Players in grades 3-8 will be considered for both Prelude String Orchestra and Prelude Chamber Strings.
- Teach cooperation, not competition.
- Students will share leadership roles via rotational seating.
- Teach students to excel beyond the basics to present a high quality performance that includes phrasing, dynamics, articulation, and style specific to string instruments.
- Include all qualified students in Southern California.
The Prelude String Orchestra began its first season in fall of 1994 with advice and financial support from the Tustin Area Council for Fine Arts. Annette Brower who was serving as Secretary to the Council at that time volunteered to manage the project. She has continued to manage the Orchestra since the founding year.
Annette chose Helen Weed as the conductor because of her enthusiastic pledge of commitment to this orchestra that did not yet exist. Ms. Weed chose the name of the orchestra, "Prelude", to indicate the first orchestral experience for many children.
All students in the orchestra study with private teachers and have been accepted based on an audition. We have about 25 rehearsals on Saturday mornings between September and April and five performances.
Due to overwhelming interest, the Orchestra has grown from a group of 8 violins and 2 cellos in its first season to about 80 musicians divided into two string ensembles.
The Prelude String Orchestra is designed to meet the needs of intermediate level students and the Prelude Chamber Strings is for more advanced students. Orchestra members are in elementary and junior high school. These musicians come from Orange, Riverside, and Los Angeles Counties.
Since 1994 we have enjoyed performing throughout Orange County at various community churches, as well as the Crystal Cathedral, Santa Ana Zoo, Laguna Hills and Brea Malls, South Coast Plaza, Tustin Historical Society home tour, Laguna Woods, Knott’s Berry Farm, Disneyland, the Orange County Performing Arts Center, and the inaugural reception for the mayor of Tustin, Tracy Worlley.
PSO/PCS wants to thank the many parents and community patrons whose overwhelming interest and support has helped make the Orchestras a success. Thanks are due also to our sponsor Suzuki Music Association of California, Los Angeles Branch-Orange County Chapter. With their assistance we not only have brought fine music to the citizens of Orange County, but have enriched the lives of hundreds of young musicians.
Executive Director, Prelude String Orchestra and Prelude Chamber Strings
Home Office: (714) 973-0906
Office Email:firstname.lastname@example.org (for the quickest response)
Prelude String Orchestra
1831 E. 19th Street
Santa Ana, CA 92705
Rehearsals are held Saturday mornings (September-November, January-April) at Calvary Church in Santa Ana (92705).
Concerts are given three times a year (November, February, April), with additional performances for Prelude Chamber Strings.
Membership in the Prelude Orchestras is by audition only, in order to determine appropriate placement.PSO Requirements:
- 2 octave scale of student’s choice
- Solo piece from or equivalent to Suzuki Books 2-4 for violins and violas
- Solo piece from or equivalent to Suzuki Books 2-3 for cellos and basses
- Sight-read music in the keys of F, C, G, and D
- 3 octave scale of student’s choice
- Solo piece from or equivalent to Suzuki Books 4 and above for violins and violas
- Solo piece from or equivalent to Suzuki Books 3 and above for cellos and basses
- Sight-read music in the keys of F, C, G, D and A
Acceptance and Orchestra Placement: will be determined by the Conductor and Executive Director based on technical and musical proficiency demonstrated at the audition. Children in grades 3-8 will be considered for both orchestras. Performing a particular piece or scale does not guarantee placement in either Prelude String Orchestra or Prelude Chamber Strings.
See www.preludestrings.org for complete information.
Call (714) 973-0906, or email email@example.com
Download Audition application here
They Keep Time Together
January 16, 2009|By TIMOTHY MANGAN | Orange County Register.
Helen Weed, conductor of the Prelude String Orchestra and Prelude Chamber Strings, had exactly seven rehearsals to get her kids ready for their first concert this season, not a lot of time, especially after a summer off. The orchestras, made up of string players in the 2nd to 8th grades, meet every Saturday morning during the season, which runs from October through April (with December off), in the choir room of the Calvary Church in Santa Ana.
For more story click here